22 January 2012

Home for the Holidays

Finally...some photos from my visit to St. Augustine this Christmas. It was not only the first time I'd been home in a year, but also the first time my family and I had been sailing since 2001.


Sailing was once a big part of my life. Throughout my childhood my family and I would go sailing every weekend and cruise to the Bahamas every summer. As years passed, I suppose we outgrew our 27' Catalina and my dad and I made the last cruise to the islands on our own.




Mom and I in the cabin on her wedding day. She and my dad were married on our sailboat, Momi.


Mom and I on Opus, our dinghy that transported us between the boat and shore.

Me at probably 3 years old. It must have been a chilly FL winter :)


Mom and my younger brother, Jonathan.



Since then, our sailboat, Momi, was somewhat abandoned. About a year ago my dad sold Momi and began the search for his new dream sailboat. Just a week before I arrived home for the holiday, my parents sailed home their new (well, new to us) 36' Catalina named Moondance. It was so special to, once again, go sailing with my family. We all felt the nostalgia welling up in our hearts as we hoisted the sails and I sat up on the forward deck, just like old times. Here are a few photos from our various outings on the boat.


























It was amazing to return to my salty roots after so many years! I am taking another trip to St. Augustine this Wednesday and look forward to a couple more outings on Moondance with my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment